TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund recommendations using proprietary tools. Our "safety first" approach aims to reduce risk while achieving total return performance.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The following companies have market values of $50 million to $500 million and receive "buy" ratings from our proprietary quantitative model, which considers more than 60 factors. They are ordered by their potential to appreciate.
Hawkins (HWKN) blends and distributes bulk and specialty chemicals for water treatment, and industrial and pharmaceutical use.
The numbers: Fiscal fourth-quarter revenue ascended 32% to $68 million as net income surged 194% to $5.1 million and earnings per share climbed 182% to 48 cents. The operating margin increased to 11% and the net margin jumped to 8%. The company has zero debt and ample liquidity, as reflected by a quick ratio of 2.1.The stock: Hawkins has risen 26% in 2009, beating the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index. Yet the stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 8, indicating a vast discount to the market, and pays a 2.7% dividend yield. American Physicians Group (AMPH) provides medical professional liability insurance for physicians and health-care providers in Texas. The company also has an investment arm that gives advice and asset-management services to institutions and wealthy individuals. The numbers: First-quarter revenue fell 2% to $19 million as net income increased 40% to $4.7 million and earnings per share climbed 46% to 67 cents. The operating margin surged to 38% and the net margin widened to 25%. The company boasts minimal debt and ample liquidity, as reflected by $38 million of cash. The stock: American Physicians Group is up 6% in 2009, beating the Dow but underperforming the S&P 500. The stock trades at a cheap price-to-earnings ratio of 8 and offers a 1.3% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV