Software sales may have taken a hit during the global economic slowdown, but BMC Software (BMC) says that virtualization and cloud computing will provide plenty of upside during the coming months.
"Enterprises are looking for a single platform to manage physical environments, virtual environments and cloud environments," BMC CEO Bob Beauchamp told TheStreet.com. "It needs to be inside of a single umbrella management environment; otherwise you really have some chaos."
Speaking after BMC's recent analyst day, Beauchamp called this a gilt-edged opportunity for his firm, which reports its first-quarter results next month. BMC, which touts a slew of software for managing data center gear, recently clinched a deal to package its software with Cisco's (CSCO) much-hyped UCS device.
"What we sell has become very, very important -- it's driving cost out long-term," said Beauchamp, explaining that the virtual world, in particular, brings both benefits and challenges.Virtualization, which lets users divide physical hardware into multiple "virtual" chunks, is becoming more popular among those looking to juggle several operating systems and applications. The technology also is one way that budget-minded firms can reduce the amount of hardware within their data centers. For sure, users can now quickly deploy many more "virtual" than physical servers, but Beauchamp warns that this trend brings its own headaches. "You can get the utilization rates up significantly in your hardware platforms," he said. "But at the same time, the cost to manage a physical server, the administration of it, is the same, physical versus virtual."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV