NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With unemployment still rising, variable mortgage resets due over the next two to three years on hundreds of thousands of houses with mortgage principal greater than current market values, can we actually be at a bottom?
There have been recent proclamations that a housing bottom has been reached. For example, Jim Cramer declared that the housing bottom occurred on June 30, 2009. There are some data points in sales volume and national price averages to make the case that a bottom may be here, or at least close at hand.
There is a glimmer of hope from new-home sales volumes. In the graph below, we see the remarkably reproducible seasonal sales-volume cycles since 1999. In the first half of 2009, the seasonal rise was stronger than 2008, although weaker than any other year shown.
What is noteworthy about 2009 is that there was a higher volume in June than April. That happened only once before in this 11-year period (2002). What happens in the next three months (July through September) will be go a long way toward determining whether or not the four-year decline in number of new-home sales may have been reversed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV