ATLANTA ( TheStreet) -- Georgia has the unfortunate distinction of leading the U.S. with 21 bank failures this year and last. And many other banks in the state are suffering from very high levels of bad loans.
Most of the failed Georgia institutions made outsized bets during the real estate boom on residential and commercial construction projects in the Atlanta area. Since the quality of commercial real estate loans is declining sharply as the later stages of the banking crisis unfold, there are dozens of banks and thrifts in trouble.
Strongest Georgia Banks and Thrifts
Based on March 31 financial reports, 24 of Georgia's 322 banks and thrifts were rated B-plus (good) or above, down from 33 the previous quarter.
Largest Georgia InstitutionsThe following table includes capital, earnings and asset quality for the 10 largest Georgia banks and thrifts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV