CEO Kenneth Lewis discussed the plans during a meeting last week, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people familiar with the conversation. Liam McGee, president of Bank of America's consumer and small-business bank, also said branch closings are part of the plans but said it would be premature to specify how many locations could be closed, these people said.
The reason behind the closings is that online and mobile banking are taking transactions away from traditional branches, McGee said, according to the people. The Bank of America executives didn't say when the closings would take place, the Journal reports.
Bank of America had 4,700 branches in 1998 and increased those through a series of large acquisitions. The bank holds 12.2% of all U.S. deposits, according to SNL Financial, followed by Wells Fargo (WFC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM), the newspaper reports.--Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV