BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The following companies have annual revenue of more than $500 million, below-average valuations, debt that is less than 49% of total capital, and receive "buy" ratings from our proprietary quantitative model, which considers more than 60 factors. They are ordered by their potential to appreciate.
New Jersey Resources (NJR) is an energy-services company that provides retail and wholesale energy services to customers in New Jersey and other states from the Gulf Coast to New England and Canada.
The numbers: Fiscal second-quarter revenue declined 20% to $938 million as earnings surged 183% to $36 million, or 83 cents per share. The debt-to-equity ratio is low at 0.6. But a quick ratio of 0.4 indicates a weak cash position. Margins improved significantly during the quarter, with operating margin climbing past 6% and net margin jumping to 4%.
The stock: New Jersey Resources is flat in 2009, underperforming the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500. The stock trades at a fair price-to-earnings ratio of 14 and offers an attractive 3.2% dividend yield.Advanced Auto Parts (AAP) sells aftermarket automotive parts, accessories and maintenance items. The numbers: First-quarter revenue increased 10% to $1.7 billion as earnings rose 14% to $94 million, or 98 cents. The operating margin remained stable at 9% and the net margin improved from 5% to 6%. Just $51 million of cash reserves and a quick ratio of 0.1 indicate a weak liquidity position. But a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3 demonstrates modest leverage. The stock: Advanced Auto Parts has climbed 37% in 2009, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at an expensive price-to-earnings ratio of 18 and offers a dividend yield below 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV