Despite Posting Profit, Foundation Coal Falls
LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD. (
On Monday, Foundation said its total sales dipped slightly in the second quarter, to $404.7 million from $411.9 million in the year-earlier period. Coal revenues, in particular, fell to $399 million from $404.8 million, while coal shipments dropped to 16.4 million tons from 17 million tons. But Foundation was able to offset that by slashing the cost of coal sales by 15% in the quarter and increasing price realizations during the quarter.
Earnings for the company landed at $30.7 million, or 67 cents a share, compared to a loss of $4.4 million, or 10 cents, in the year-earlier period.
The results also included $4.8 million worth of expenses related to Alpha Natural Resources's (ANR) plans to buy Foundation. On Friday, stockholders will vote on Foundation's then-announced $1.4 billion, all-stock sale. If approved, the deal, according to the press release, will produce the third largest coal producer in the U.S., with the transaction likely to close just after the vote.On average, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the coal supplier to produce earnings at 71 cents a share, along with revenues of $445.2 million. Typically, estimates exclude one-time items. Earlier today,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV