Despite Posting Profit, Foundation Coal Falls
LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD. (TheStreet) -- While the profit of its competitors fell victim to coal's slumping demand, Foundation Coal (FCL) managed to swing to a profit, thanks to some cost-cutting moves and higher prices.
On Monday, Foundation said its total sales dipped slightly in the second quarter, to $404.7 million from $411.9 million in the year-earlier period. Coal revenues, in particular, fell to $399 million from $404.8 million, while coal shipments dropped to 16.4 million tons from 17 million tons. But Foundation was able to offset that by slashing the cost of coal sales by 15% in the quarter and increasing price realizations during the quarter.
Earnings for the company landed at $30.7 million, or 67 cents a share, compared to a loss of $4.4 million, or 10 cents, in the year-earlier period.
The results also included $4.8 million worth of expenses related to Alpha Natural Resources's (ANR) plans to buy Foundation. On Friday, stockholders will vote on Foundation's then-announced $1.4 billion, all-stock sale. If approved, the deal, according to the press release, will produce the third largest coal producer in the U.S., with the transaction likely to close just after the vote.On average, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the coal supplier to produce earnings at 71 cents a share, along with revenues of $445.2 million. Typically, estimates exclude one-time items. Earlier today, Alpha said its earnings fell 77% because of a demand drop fueled by cutbacks in steel and power production.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV