(Updated to reflect current stock price)
The company says it has eliminated 8,000 jobs in the past year and has targeted another 8,000 staff and contract employees in the second half of this year. "Candidly, we are looking at all other areas of expense," CFO John Killian told analysts on an earnings call Monday.
The New York phone shop posted adjusted earnings of 63 cents a share, down from 67 cents in the year-ago period and in line with analysts expectations, according to Yahoo! Finance.Sales for the second quarter were $26.8 billion, up more than 10% from the $24.1 billion level last year and meeting analysts' targets. The company has been struggling to cut costs on its old line phone business while investing heavily in wireless and fiber optic network construction. In wireless, Verizon added 1.1 million net new subscribers, with churn, or the monthly rate of cancellations, at 1.37%, slightly better than the 1.49% AT&T (T) that reported last week. And increased text messaging and mobile Internet use helped Verizon boost its average wireless data revenue per customer to $14.96 a month from $14.16 in the first quarter. Verizon continued to gain momentum in its fiber optic expansion into TV service and Internet sales. Verizon added 300,000 net new TV customers for a total of 2.5 million, and the company now has 3.1 million FiOS Internet customers after adding 303,000 net new users in the second quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV