The New York-based financial institution, which has received $45 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program last year, said that private preferred holders of roughly $12.5 billion worth of convertible preferred securities were exchanged for interim securities and warrants on Thursday.
Former chairman Sandy Weill, the Government of Singapore Investment Corp. and Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal are among the private holders that agreed to the exchange.
The U.S. government, which agreed to exchange up to $25 billion worth of preferred securities, completed half of that on Thursday by exchanging $12.5 billion of non-convertible preferred securities for interim securities and warrants. It will also exchange its remaining preferred securities into trust preferred securities bearing an annual coupon of 8%, the company said. Once completed, the government will own approximately 34% of the troubled financial institution.Citi said in June that assuming it received full participation of holders of convertible and non-convertible public preferred and trust preferred securities in the exchange offers, the company will convert approximately $58 billion worth of preferred stock and trust preferred securities into common shares. The interim securities and warrants will convert to common shares once shareholders approve of the increase in Citi's authorized common stock, the company said. The exchange offer is expected to result in as many as 17.4 billion new shares issued, bringing Citi's shares outstanding to roughly 23 billion shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV