Will Someone, Anyone, Buy the Chicago Cubs?
The Chicago Cubs: Lovable Losers. The Curse of the Billy Goat. Bartman. On the field of play -- in this case, the Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field -- one team reigns in the negative superlative as the most hapless of all time, famously innocent of championships for more than a hundred years.
All superstition aside, your average Cubs fan, desperate for victory, has come to blame the team's celebrated run of futility on one thing: that ancient fan bugaboo, Ownership.
So it's no surprise that when Sam Zell officially put the Cubs up for sale in 2007, after the billionaire Chicago native acquired the Tribune Co., parent of the team, in an $8 billion leveraged buyout, intense interest was paid on the Northside to the person, or more likely people, who would replace the faceless corporation that had owned the franchise since 1981.
Almost immediately, a menagerie of hopeful bidders (click "Lineup of Bidders" below) either expressed interest in owning the team, or had it expressed for them, from the high profile (Mark Cuban, and even Bill Murray) to the relatively low (real estate mogul Hersch Klaff, theater impresario Rocco Landesman).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV