Even though home-builder NVR's (NVR) profit fell 19%, it easily surpassed Wall Street's expectations, sending shares in the housing sector rallying.
During the second quarter, NVR earned $41.4 million, or $6.79 a share, compared with $51.3 million, or $8.64 a share, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected earnings of $4.11 a share.
Home-building revenue tanked 35% to $612.5 million from $941 million.
Shares of NVR jumped 5% to $582.95 in morning trading, and shares of other home builders followed suit. Toll Brothers (TOL) grew 3% to $17.55, Pulte Homes (PHM) spiked 5% to $9.37, KB Home (KBH) grew 6% to $15.02, Lennar (LEN) increased 7% to $10.51 and Centex (CTX) rose 5% to $9.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV