Tech Rumor of the Day: Apple, Verizon Team Up on Tablet
Apple (AAPL) will have a tablet computer in time for the holidays, but the company is still mulling how to sell it.
The device, designed as a larger version of the iPod Touch, will have a 9-inch to 10-inch touchscreen and possibly a keyboard, as analysts, industry sources and news reports have outlined.
An initial version of the long-anticipated Apple tablet will be subsidized by Verizon (VZ), but Apple and Verizon "won't be as tightly integrated" as Apple's iPhone exclusivity deal with AT&T (T), says one source familiar with the companies, who asked not to be named.
Apple has been tinkering with the tablet for nearly two years. The popularity of the iPhone and particularly the iPod Touch have convinced the company that people are enamored with the touchscreens and see the swipe-and-poke, Web-friendly interface as more than just a fad.The market, however, may not be as ready as Apple is.
Apple's Tablet Will Be an iFlop
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV