Cloud Computing Still Pie in Sky
"There are some baby steps today, but the big inflection point is further out - three to five years," said Huberty. "The first companies to move to that will be SMBs, for example, I can go and rent capacity from somebody that has massive scale."
Other hurdles in the path of cloud computing include lack of standards for the technology, which has already prompted some bitchy vendor in-fighting and general wariness of new concepts.
Microsoft's recent decision to provide Office as an online service should nonetheless give a boost to the cloud model.
"I think it will set some light on [cloud computing] and bring it into greater visibility," says Roger Kay, president of analyst firm Endpoint Technologies Associates.As far as tech investors are concerned, however, it could be some time before businesses really spend big and put their heads in the cloud.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV