Cloud Computing Still Pie in Sky
Service providers such as AT&T (T), on the other hand, are more focused on public clouds, delivered both via the Internet and their own networks, although IBM also has a foot in this camp.
Despite a flurry of recent announcements from the likes of IBM, Microsoft and AT&T, the best-known player in this space remains Amazon, which has been offering public clouds for the last few years. Morgan's Huberty, however, says that Amazon (AMZN) is geared more towards the low-end of the market.
"We will first see significant investment in private clouds," she added, explaining that this spending will likely happen in the next two to three years.
With security and loss of data control often cited as the biggest cloud issues, this is hardly surprising. The brouhaha that surrounded Amazon's cloud storage outage last year, for example, highlights the degree of concern about this issue.A recent survey by the IT Industry Council (ITIC) found that 85% of companies will not implement either a public or private cloud in 2009 because of fears that service providers may not be able to adequately secure sensitive data. "Corporations prefer terra firm to the cloud - for now," explained Laura DiDio, principal analyst at the ITIC. "IT managers, especially those
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV