Cloud Computing Still Pie in Sky
Barely a week seems to go by without a tech company waxing lyrical about cloud computing. Whether it is Microsoft (MSFT), which added more flesh to the bones of its online services strategy, Dell (DELL), IBM (IBM) or Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), everyone seems to be banging the cloud drum.
There has certainly been plenty of hype, but what about the reality? Cloud services, which offer compute power and storage via the Internet, are apparently the next big thing, but just how far along is this technology?
"It's definitely an evolution in progress," Katy Huberty, an analyst at Morgan Stanley, told TheStreet.com, explaining that no single tech company is holding all the cards. "From an end-to-end business solution [perspective] I don't think that anybody leads."
With the technology still in its adolescence, it is hard to say precisely when cloud technology will provide significant upside to investors. It is useful, however, to first make a distinction between the different types of clouds that are available -- basically "private" vs. "public."
Bulls in the Clouds
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV