UGI (UGI) engages in the distribution and marketing of energy products and services in the U.S. and internationally. The company also operates a heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration business serving customers in the Mid-Atlantic region.
The numbers: Fiscal second-quarter revenue dropped 9.5% to $2.1 billion as net income increased 25% to $158 million and earnings per share improved 24% to $1.45, continuing a trend of positive growth for eight consecutive quarters. A quick ratio of 0.9 indicates a less-than-ideal liquidity position and a debt-to-equity ratio of 1.5 reflects sizable leverage. Operating margin improved to 17% and net margin moved past 7%.
The stock: UGI has climbed 6% in 2009, outperforming the Dow and S&P 500. Still, the stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio under 10, indicating a significant discount to the market, and offers a 3.1% dividend yield.
Diamond Foods (DMND) processes and markets culinary, snack, in-shell and ingredient nuts that are sold through two main product lines: Diamond of California and Emerald Nuts.The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter revenue ascended 11% to $111 million as net income increased 144% to $2.7 million and earnings per share improved 128% to 16 cents, establishing an eight-quarter streak. Operating margin increased to 6% and net margin exceeded 2%. Just $1.5 million of cash and a quick ratio of 0.3 indicate weak liquidity. But a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 means conservative leverage. The stock: Diamond has climbed 25% in 2009, outperforming all major U.S. indexes. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio around 19 and has a dividend yield under 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV