The short-term fund has tracked closer to the underlying index than the medium-term fund has. Well-regarded options-market blogger Adam Warner from Daily Options noted that the VIX generally has a negative 0.66 correlation to the S&P 500, and the Short Term Futures ETN captures 40% to 50% of that effect. He notes that there are no enormous flaws in the VIX ETNs such as those that have surfaced in other exchange traded products. However, a possible obstacle could be a negative roll yield, which would occur if, in rolling to the next month's futures contract, the fund has to pay out more to buy the new month than was taken in by selling the old month. That has been a huge obstacle for oil ETFs.One aspect of considering new investment products is they need time to prove themselves. Before I would consider using these, I would want to see whether they move up as the stock market goes down. In their short history, the stock market has been almost a one-way trade higher and VIX has gone lower. While there are no absolutes, the funds need to prove they can be a hedge in a down market. For now, the data are insufficient.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV