Jeff Peek came to CIT (CIT) in 2003 to shake up a sleepy lender.
A Princeton University graduate and regular on New York's social circuit, Peek climbed the ranks at Merrill Lynch, eventually running its asset management business before getting pushed out in a power struggle with (now-former) CEO Stan O'Neal.
He then moved to a high-level job at Credit Suisse (CS). When he joined CIT -- now on the brink of bankruptcy -- it was with the notion that he would shortly succeed CEO Albert Gamper and did so the following year. He added the chairmanship of the board of directors to his duties at the start of 2005.
And his ambitions were not small.
|Jeffrey M. Peek|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV