There is also one important mechanics issue to be familiar with. The fund's 30% short and 30% "extra" long positions will come in the form of swap agreements and forward contracts, which create counter-party risk. That adds an element of uncertainty, even though ProShares have proven itself more than capable in this area.
The ProShares Credit Suisse 130/30 fund falls under the realm of actively managed funds. Most ETFs are static, save for price fluctuations of the components. This makes using ETFs easy because you know what a fund owns now and what it will own in six months. That attribute has contributed to ETFs growing much faster than traditional mutual funds during this decade. But that's not the case with actively managed products. One byproduct of building portfolios with actively managed mutual funds is that, because of the lag in reporting holdings, investors often ended up being grossly overweight in sectors, such as tech in 2000 and financials in 2007. ETF transparency mitigates that issue, but investors still need to take time to look at their fund holdings periodically.
The importance of that issue, or the lack of regard for it, will determine whether actively managed ETFs ever gain traction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV