As Congressional Democrats today announce legislation designed to reinvent the nation's healthcare system, publicly traded HMOs stand to have their profits trimmed, should the bill pass into law.
Under the plan, health insurers would be required to provide coverage to people no matter what (including those with preexisting conditions). Companies could also face competition from government programs created by the new law to sell insurance to the public.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Henry Waxman unveiled the bill at a press conference in Washington Tuesday afternoon. It will be debated in committee later this week.
The market, however, did not wait to respond.Managed-care stocks were largely lower Tuesday. Leading the declines were Humana (HUM), which fell nearly 8% to $28.21, and Health Net (HNT), which shed almost 15% to close at $12.04. The bigger names held up better. UnitedHealth (UNH) slipped only 1% to $24.77; Cigna (CI) lost a mere 11 cents to $24.57; WellPoint (WLP) was down just 9 cents to $49.69; and Aetna (AET) traded basically flat, closing at $26.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV