Tech Rumor of the Day: Research In Motion
In the first 24 hours, Verizon and retail outlets sold between 275,000 and 300,000 Tours, according to analysts.
Given the lack of media hoopla and the absence of live blogging from the waiting lines, the big debut numbers suggest that Verizon and soon Sprint (S) will have a blockbuster phone for the summer and into the holidays.
The Tour debut compares well to Apple's (AAPL) original iPhone, which sold roughly the same amount on its first weekend in 2007. That start was notably slower than the 1 million target Apple expected and then eventually hit on the 74th days after its launch.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV