TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
TheStreet.com's stock-rating model downgraded Walt Disney (DIS) to "hold." The company operates as a diversified entertainment company worldwide.
The numbers: Fiscal second-quarter revenue declined 7.2% from a year earlier to $8.1 billion as net income fell 46% to $613 million and earnings per share dropped 43% to 33 cents. Operating margin fell from 22% to 16% and net margin dropped from 13% to 7.6%. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.4 indicates a modest debt load. But a quick ratio of 0.8 reflects less-than-ideal liquidity.
The stock: Disney is down 1% this year, keeping pace with the S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at a low price-to-earnings ratio of 12 and offers a lackluster 1.6% dividend yield.The model upgraded PSS World Medical (PSSI) to "buy." The company distributes medical products, equipment and billing services to health care providers in the U.S. The numbers: Fiscal fourth-quarter revenue decreased 4.9% to $469 million as net income fell 20% to $16 million and earnings per share dropped 16% to 26 cents. Operating margin fell from 6% to 5.7% as net margin fell from 3.9% to 3.3%. The company's cash balance has surged 338% since the year-ago quarter and stands strong at $92 million. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.8 indicates conservative leverage. The stock: PSS World Medical is down 7% this year, underperforming the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500. The stock trades at an expensive price-to-earnings ratio of 18 and doesn't pay dividends. The model upgraded SmartPros (SPRO) to "buy." The company provides training and seminars for accountants, lawyers and finance professionals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV