By Kevin Grewal, editorial director at SmartStops.net.
At a time when President Obama's approval ratings are declining, the nation's economy is still struggling and it appears that nothing is really happening in Washington to ignite a much-needed spark to boost consumer confidence, a health care bill in some form will have to pass.
The largest obstacle that the pending overhaul of the health care system is facing is cost. In a nutshell, the president wants to curb costs while expanding health insurance coverage to many of the 46 million uninsured Americans, which has a trillion dollar price tag attached with it.
On the one side, some are arguing that a government-run health care option would place stiff competition on private insurers, which could potentially be detrimental to the insurance industry and the employer-based insurance model used by the majority of Americans.On the other side, critics are stating that the reform does not have enough cost savings involved with it. One big part of the proposed reform includes a piece that would have Medicare and insurance companies cut nearly 5% of the nation's annual medical bill by refusing to pay for care for complications due to doctor or hospital error. Many believe that the reform is focused on narrower issues such as taxing medical benefits and cutting hospital prices and is overlooking the quality issue, which in the long run will be the most cost effective.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV