Netflix (NFLX) shares received a boost on Monday on vague rumors of a takeover offer.
Theflyonthewall.com reported on Monday that the 5.5% jump to $42.32 is attributed to "renewed takeover speculation."
Granted, about two years ago it was widely rumored that Netflix was going to be acquired by Amazon.com (AMZN), but nothing came of it.
Netflix is in the process of gaining market share in the movie rental business, primarily from rival Blockbuster (BBI).Last week, the company announced that it will stream movies to Sony's (SNE) Bravia high-definition, Internet-connected TVs starting this fall. It's also planning to expand its streaming services to the Roku player, Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 video-game console, and recorders made by TiVo (TIVO). In April, Netflix posted a 68% surge in first-quarter earnings to $22.4 million, or 37 cents per share, and said it has added 1.6 million subscribers since September, giving it more than 10 million customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV