Fastenal (FAST), a distributor of construction and building supplies, missed Wall Street earnings expectations for the second straight quarter, sending its share price down 6% Monday morning.
The company, obviously hurt by the recession, blamed the poor results in particular on a continued falloff in its business with manufacturing companies.
Fastenal, as its name might indicate, is a wholesaler and retailer specializing in fasteners (screws, nuts, bolts, clips, etc.) for all kinds of uses. Historically, however, half of its sales have come from manufacturing and industrial customers. That business shrank 28% compared with the year-ago second quarter.
Overall, the company said second-quarter earnings dropped nearly 43% to $43.5 million, or 29 cents a share, from the year-ago period, below analysts' estimates of 33 cents.Second-quarter sales, meanwhile, fell 21% to $474.9 million. Investors were not impressed. In morning trading, Fastenal stock was changing hands at $29.81, down $1.92, on a volume of 1.2 million shares. Its average daily turnover is 1.9 million. The shares reached their all-time high, 56.48, in September last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV