This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
See Cramer's multi-million dollar portfolio for FREE and get his new book Get Rich Carefully! Learn More

Clean Energy Gets Huge Boost

Corrects share price data for Clean Energy Fuels. By Kevin Grewal, Contributing Analyst at www.smartstops.net

The future of cleaner renewable energy looks extremely bright after receiving a big boost.

Los Angeles Mayors Antonio Villaraigosa recently announced that he wants Los Angeles to completely eliminate the use of electricity made from coal by 2020 and replace it with cleaner renewable energy sources.

This a huge boost for the industry because the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) is the largest city-owned utility in the U.S. with 1.45 million customers.

As of now, LADWP gets nearly 40% of its electricity from coal-powered plants outside of the state, with the remaining 60% from natural gas, nuclear, and large hydroelectric sources. By 2020, the LADWP is expected to 40% renewable power, a huge plus for the industry.

In addition, the House of Representative recently passed the Waxman-Clean Energy Bill which requires electric utilities to meet 20% of their electricity demand through renewable energy sources by 2020, puts mandates on buildings, appliances and industry to meet new-energy saving standards, and includes a measure to invest nearly $190 billion in new clean energy technologies to aid in the production of energy efficiency and a reduction in carbon emissions.

These initiatives could provide opportunities for these equities:

PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy (PBW), which closed Thursday at $8.94, up 53% since a March low of $5.87.

PowerShares Global Clean Energy ETF (PBD), which rebounded nicely to close at $13.88 on July 9, a 59% jump since a March low of $8.73.

Stock quotes in this article: PRW, PBD, STP 

Select the service that is right for you!

COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Action Alerts PLUS
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
  • Weekly roundups
TheStreet Quant Ratings
Try it NOW
Only $49.95/yr

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
  • Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Stocks Under $10
Try it NOW

David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
  • Weekly roundups
Dividend Stock Advisor
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
  • Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Real Money Pro
Try it NOW

All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.

Product Features:
  • Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
  • Intraday commentary & news
  • Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Options Profits
Try it NOW

Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • 100+ monthly options trading ideas
  • Actionable options commentary & news
  • Real-time trading community
  • Options TV
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
DOW 16,408.54 -16.31 -0.10%
S&P 500 1,864.85 +2.54 0.14%
NASDAQ 4,095.5160 +9.2910 0.23%

Brokerage Partners

Rates from Bankrate.com

  • Mortgage
  • Credit Cards
  • Auto
Advertising Partners

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs