Fidelity Seeks Successor for Its No. 2: Report
Fidelity Investments is looking at potential candidates to succeed its No. 2 executive, Rodger Lawson, the Wall Street Journal reports.
A departure by Lawson, who reports to Fidelity Chairman and CEO Edward "Ned" Johnson, would add to other recent high-level exits at the company, which is controlled by Johnson's family. Lawson was named president in August 2007, and was expected to stay for three to five years, the Journal reports.
A long-time acquaintance of Lawson said the Fidelity president recently told him he would like to leave between now and the end of the year. This person said Lawson wants to wait until the Johnson family has a successor lined up, according to the newspaper.
Anne Crowley, a Fidelity spokeswoman, told the Journal she doesn't "envision that Rodger is leaving any time soon" and he "is not about to be fired."It's unclear why Lawson might be leaving earlier than originally expected. Johnson has been grooming his daughter Abigail, who currently runs Fidelity's personal-investing operations, to succeed him as chairman, the Journal notes. Fidelity is the leading mutual fund company, with assets of $1.2 trillion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV