TSC Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
TheStreet.com Ratings' model upgraded Avista (AVA) to "buy." The company generates and distributes energy through its three subsidiaries: Avista Utilities, Energy Marketing and Resource Management and Advantage IQ.
The numbers: Fiscal first-quarter revenue fell 1.7% to $488 million as net income increased 23% to $31 million and earnings per share jumped 21% to 57 cents. Operating margin improved 161 basis points to 14% and net margin jumped 128 basis points to 6.4%. The company has a weak liquidity position, as indicated by just $36 million of reserves and a low quick ratio of 0.4. However, the cash balance has more than doubled since the year-earlier quarter. A debt-to-equity ratio of 1.14 is higher than ideal.
The stock: Avista is down 8% in 2009. The stock is cheap at a price-to-earnings ratio of 12 and offers an attractive 4.7% dividend yield.The model upgraded Bally Technologies (BYI) to "buy." The company manufactures and distributes gaming devices and computerized monitoring and accounting systems for the gaming industry. The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter revenue decreased 11% to $208 million as net income fell 3.3% to $29 million and earnings per share remained flat at 52 cents. Operating margin improved 222 basis points to 25% and net margin climbed 109 basis points to 14%. The company has a strong liquidity position, with $70 million of cash reserves and a quick ratio of 1.5. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 indicates conservative leverage. The stock: Bally Technologies has ascended 19% in 2009, outperforming all major U.S. indexes. The stock trades at a fair price-to-earnings ratio of 13 and doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV