"Under-the-Radar Stocks" is a daily feature that uncovers little-known companies worthy of investors' consideration. Check in at 5 every morning to find out about stocks that tend to beat their bigger brethren.
Owens & Minor (OMI) has carved a niche by distributing other companies' medical products, everything from scrubs to scalpels. The company serves major players like Cardinal Health (CAH) and Covidien (COV), and sells its own discount line of common medical products under the brand MediChoice. In August, the company acquired Burrows Co., a Chicago-based medical supplier, for $30.2 million to expand its reach.Aging baby boomers will boost demand for health care supplies for years to come, increasing revenue for medical suppliers and manufacturers. In the past month, the Dow Jones U.S. Health Care Index, which includes Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Amgen (AMGN) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), climbed 2% as the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 6.1%. First-quarter revenue at the Richmond, Va.-based company rose 13% to $1.9 billion. Net income dropped 42% to $14 million because of the cost of divesting a direct-to-consumer diabetes-supply business. Earnings per share from continuing operations fell 8.5% to 54 cents. The company's operating margin has shed 46 basis points to a slim 2% since the year-earlier quarter as the net margin shrank by half to 0.7%. Owens & Minor's strong balance sheet compensates for its weak profitability. The company has quadrupled its cash position to $11 million since last year's first quarter. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.31 reflects its conservative approach. We rate the company "buy" with a financial strength score of 7.9 out of 10, better than the 7 average of our "buy"-rated stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV