Kass: The Case for a Summer Snooze Fest
This blog post originally appeared on RealMoney Silver on July 9 at 8:05 a.m. EDT.
Since I have been out for a few days of meaningful and persistent downside pressure, let's frame the market expectations that have led up to my current outlook for stocks over the balance of the summer and into the fall.
Like Shakespeare's Polonius, I adopted a neutral view of U.S. equities in late May in a column entitled "Neither a Bull nor a Bear Be."
As stocks continued to rise, I argued in early June on CNBC's "The Kudlow Report" that, while I remained confident that a generational low would not likely be breached for years (if not forever), equity valuations had nonetheless more than discounted the second derivative improvement in the economy, and stocks were running ahead of the real economy.In addition, I further opined a month ago:
- More tangible signs of economic traction are necessary before the markets move higher.
- The trajectory of economic growth will be shallow and will likely disappoint the equity markets during the second half of 2009.
- Massive cost cutting has resulted in better-than-expected first-quarter 2009 profits, but it holds a downside as significant employee layoffs (and a still-weakened consumer) threaten the seeds of domestic economic growth over the intermediate term.
- Savings rates will remain high, and personal consumption expenditures will remain low for an extended period of time.
- The specter of rising taxes and higher interest rates in late 2009/early 2010 will likely impact an already fragile recovery in the economy and in the markets -- a double-dip is due then.
- Near term the market looked increasingly exposed and the upside was certainly capped.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV