Symantec Beefs Up Cybercrime Tools
Symantec will unveil in September the new versions of its Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus technology, which it claims can thwart previously unknown viruses and worms. Typically, security software scans applications for known virus characteristics or "signatures." For previously unseen threats, however, this approach is inadequate, and that has prompted Symantec to rethink its strategy.
Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus will be the firm's first products to offer a security technology called Quorum, according to Symantec executives speaking at a cybersecurity event in New York this week.
"We looked at the protection model, and we realized that it had to change very dramatically," David Cole, senior director for Symantec's consumer products, told TheStreet.com. "There's a hell of a lot of threats out there."Quorum taps into Norton's Community Watch program, which collects information from millions of Symantec customers. This is then used to check where the application comes from, how common its attributes are, and ultimately, whether it has been seen before. By using these criteria, Quorum devises a "reputation score," which tells users whether the application is likely to be good or bad. The new Norton products also check for virus signatures, as well as monitoring the behavior of applications once they are up and running, which were both offered on earlier versions of the software. "[Quorum] is not going to eliminate the older techniques, and how they were done," explained Cole. "But the main thing is that it promises to give us much, much higher detection rates against unknown malware."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV