Google Chrome: Microsoft's Shiny New Enemy
Next up for Microsoft is its upcoming Windows 7 operating system, which is expected to arrive late this year in an assortment of sizes. And now, Google's new Chrome OS plans all but guarantee that a version of Windows 7 will target the mini-notebook market.
And while Google and Microsoft race to meet the so-called smartbook opportunity, Apple has been applying its own polish to a touchscreen tablet-like device. This in-between gadget will no doubt pack as much punch of the Apple OS X as possible, while keeping with the promise of 9-hour battery life and zero wait time for startup.
So how big is this next generation software race? Who knows. But one thing seems clear: The hype will be huge.
"All of this is at least a year away. That's a decade in the technology business," writes Henry Blodget in his Business Insider blog Wednesday. "But it will be the story of the year."Google shares were up 1.6% to $402.77 in Wednesday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV