California Bonds: Attack of the Killer BBB
There's not much golden about California these days -- least of all its bonds.
Fitch Ratings downgraded the state's long-term general obligation bond rating to BBB from A- on Monday, the second cut on the reading since June. The bonds remain on rating watch negative.
Fitch attributed the downgrade to California's continued inability to achieve timely agreement on budget- and cash flow-solutions amid its severe fiscal crisis. An agreement was suppose to be reached by the end of the state's fiscal year on June 30.
The state has been unable to close its $26.3 billion deficit and plans to resort to issuing more than $3 billion in IOUs to thousands of creditors. The use of IOUs for non-priority payments would offset cash shortfalls into September 2009.The BBB rating is two notches above junk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV