Wells Fargo's (WFC) iconic stagecoach could soon be pulling up alongside the town cars favored by its Wall Street competitors.
Wells, whose quaint horse-drawn covered wagon logo is an apt metaphor for its traditional, risk-averse nature, has decided to build out its investment banking franchise. The move represents an about-face for Wells, which initially planned to sell off or wind down some key Wachovia operations that CEO John Stumpf deemed "not compatible" with its "vision and values."
The San Francisco-based company's roll of the dice on Wall Street is designed to take advantage of the disappearance or downsizing of big investment banks. The initiative, however, will be on Wells Fargo's own terms. The company has spent nine months deciding which Wachovia assets to keep, then soldering together its legacy investment banking division with the newly acquired, and arguably stronger, operations. The bank plans to unveil the new enterprise next week."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV