Islamic ETF Is Built for Bull Markets
Nevertheless, the JETS Dow Jones Islamic Market International Index Fund is a broad-based global, excluding the U.S., investment product with different attributes than its rivals. The most popular fund in this category is the iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund (EFA), which, other than Canada, has a similar country makeup but a much different sector makeup. The iShares fund is heaviest in financials, at 24%, compared with zero for the JETS fund. Materials and energy are weighted at 9% each in the iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund and, as mentioned above, those two combine for 48% of JETS Dow Jones Islamic Market International Index Fund. Another alternative in this space is the WisdomTree DEFA Fund (DWM), which also targets large-cap foreign stocks and weights them by dividends. The DEFA fund weights financials at 18%, down from 30% a year ago, has a similar weighting in energy and materials as the iShares fund but, unlike the other two, has a much heavier weighting to telecom, at 11%.
These sector differences create the potential for an interesting dynamic for the next bull market, even if it has already started. The bear market that started in 2000 was led down by technology stocks. When the broader market made a new high in October 2007, the Nasdaq was still 40% below its 2000 high, so technology was left behind. It's possible that this will happen again with financial stocks. Aside from the precedent for this, the financial sector would seem to be a long way from fundamental health.
An investor preferring to use broad based products but wanting to reduce or otherwise avoid financial sector exposure could use JETS Dow Jones Islamic Market International Index Fund as a substitute for the iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund or the WisdomTree DEFA Fund.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV