What Went Wrong at Nortel
Against this backdrop, it will be interesting to see how Nortel sells off some its juiciest assets. The firm may even keep hold of some of its patents for the Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology used in 4G networks, according to the
Light Reading web site, possibly to eke out more revenue during the coming months.
Nortel, of course, is not the only company with problems. Rival Alcatel-Lucent (ALU), for example, recently reported its ninth consecutive quarterly loss. Despite weak demand and stiff competition, however, Alcatel-Lucent is unlikely to follow Nortel's path.
"I think that Alcatel-Lucent is a lot more resilient," said Alvarez. "They have a strong service provider side and a strong services business."
Consolidation, rather than bankruptcy, will characterize the tech market during the next few years, as big-name firms seek out cut-price deals.
Nortel's fall from grace may not have generated as many headlines as General Motors (GMGMQ) and Chrysler during the last few months, but it should serve as a warning to other tech firms looking to survive the recession in one piece.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV