I asked PowerShares to explain the small coal weighting for this article and the last one, but didn't get an answer. I don't think uranium exposure is negative, but anyone interested in the fund needs to know the reasons behind this strategy.
Investors who use ETFs to build portfolios based on industries can manage volatility by rotating exposure. When the market appears vulnerable to a large decline, (for example, when the S&P 500 Index has breached its 200-day moving average) it makes sense to cut positions in coal, oil sands or alternative energy. When the market appears to be recovering, it's time to reinstate those stocks.
Coal stocks are going to be more volatile than large oil companies most of the time. As you manage your portfolio, keep in mind that this volatility will usually be good on the way up and bad on the way down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV