Five Reasons to Sell Google
Google (GOOG) CFO Pat Pichette told investors at a Credit Suisse tech conference June 9 that the company is working on "big, complicated problems, building solutions for decades."
The message, while grand, didn't exactly answer a more immediate question among shareholders: How is Google going to get business growing again?
The recession stalled the Internet search industry and handed Google its first ever sequential sales decline last quarter. The cool-down ended a long, prosperous run for the search shop, and it may mark the end of the era of Google's ever-expanding dominance.
That doesn't mean Google won't continue to have the biggest tent in the Internet advertising show, nor will it soon start dismantling its vast Web works. But Google's greatest growth sources are sputtering, and other ventures aren't picking up the slack.Five reasons to sell Google:
Beyond SearchSearch ads are a wonderful trick, but it's still only one trick, and Google has not had any breakthrough success in other areas beyond search. YouTube, for example, continues to be a popular service and Google still hasn't found a way to make money from it. By some estimates, Google loses between $200 million to $500 million a year on the video site.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV