The Federal Reserve has sustained an unprecedented effort to increase the money supply while keeping short-term rates next to zero, and some funds like TIP have skipped dividend payments to investors because of low rates. TIP is a good way to protect a small portion of your portfolio against the risk of rising rates in the future.
TIP should be an investment for the long haul, however, and investors looking to capture the upside will have to endure the current doldrums stalling the fund. TIP owns solely inflation-protected securities backed by the U.S. government, which also may provide some comfort to investors looking to minimize credit risk in at least a portion of their portfolios. TIP is a good low cost way to add inflation protected securities to the mix.
IWR is a low cost mid-cap fund that invests in a large number of securities to provide investors with diversification. SPY is a plain vanilla approach to large-cap investing, and this fund has had a high correlation to broader market movement. SPY is also one of the cheapest ETFs available.Investing in ETF index funds helps to cut costs and take some of the guesswork out of diversified investing. While U.S. equity index funds are not "inflation proof," many have outperformed over time and provided more stable returns for conservative investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV