Do not piss off Amazon.com (AMZN). Mess with Amazon.com, you get the horns. Hell hath no fury like an Amazon.com scorned.
However you care to characterize the company's wrath, its latest victim is the state of Rhode Island -- which is being cut off by online retailer after its legislature passed a bill that would have required Amazon to begin collecting sales tax.
The online retailer ended its Rhode Island affiliate program just days after it ended its North Carolina affiliate program for the same reason.
Amazon, it's worth noting, decided to keep its affiliate program in New York when it passed a similar bill last year.Currently Amazon only collects sales tax in a handful of states, and some say it's taking advantage of a loophole for online retailers. Rhode Island and North Carolina want to classify Amazon as a retailer with a physical presence, making it responsible for collecting sales tax.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV