Buffett Watch: Squeezing the Shorts
Updated with stock prices.
Warren Buffett, the billionaire head of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A), is the second-richest man in the world, after Bill Gates and ahead of Carlos Slim Helu. He is considered one of the leading value investors, and although Berkshire has taken a major hit recently, over the years it has performed extremely well. An $8,200 investment in the company in January of 1990 would now be worth more than $86,000.
So it makes you wonder why traders would short the stocks that Buffett chose for his Berkshire portfolio. Since many of his stocks have dropped and some are heavily shorted, there may be some short-squeeze opportunities to take advantage of.
A short squeeze takes place when short sellers quickly buy in shares of the stock in order to cover their positions, driving the price of stocks up sharply. The ratio for measuring short squeeze opportunities is the short ratio, which is the number of days it would take the short sellers to cover their position based on recent average daily volume.Stockpickr has reviewed the stocks owned by Warren Buffett and their short ratios and has compiled with a portfolio of the Top Buffett Short-Squeeze Plays.To read more, visit Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV