Tech Rumor of the Day: Nvidia
Now, the Tegra seems to have finally found its first win in the handheld device arena. The new HD Zune from Microsoft (MSFT) will be powered by the Tegra chip, says Rayfield. The Zune multimedia device is expected to arrive this fall.
Nvidia also expects a slew of mini computing devices or MIDs coming to the market late this year and early next year. These are sub-netbook sized laptops that will sell for under $200 or free with wireless service contracts. The devices run on Linux, or in Nvidia's case Microsoft Windows CE operating software.
The company's Tegra chips will cost manufacturers anywhere between the teens and $30, says Rayfield.
Nvidia has been knocking on this door to the mobile market for two years now, and there's little guarantee of success. Other chip giants like Qualcomm (QCOM) and Texas Instruments (TXN) stand as just two of the formidable obstacles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV