Michael Jackson's Death Spurs Online Frenzy
(Update adds photo gallery and information on the impact on Web-search tools by Jackson's death.)
The King of Pop's albums filled the top slots on Amazon.com and Apple's iTunes on Thursday, only hours after he was reported dead. The No. 1 disc was the 25th anniversary reissue of his 1982 blockbuster "Thriller."
On iTunes, seven of the 10 top albums belonged to MJ, while all of Amazon's top 15 was occupied by Jackson or the Jackson 5.The two music retailers quickly created Jackson-tribute virtual stores, with iTunes offering 41 albums and Amazon linking to 121 albums. And let's not forget about the possibilities surrounding Jackson memorabilia, which could help Amazon as well as Internet auction house eBay (EBAY). This could also bode well for Jackson's Sony (SNE) Music label. Jackson sold about 750 million records worldwide during his career. It's also fair to say that is death is causing an Internet frenzy. On Google (GOOG), 50 of the 100 trending topics are related to Michael Jackson, and its Youtube video site also created a Jackson memorial page. TMZ.com, which is owned by Time Warner (TWX), is basking in the distinction of being the first to break the news of Jackson's death. Meanwhile, traffic on Twitter and Facebook soared moments after the announcement. Facebook's tribute page currently boasts more than 900,000 fans. AT&T reported the biggest spike in text messages in the moments after Jackson's death. The phone company said 65,000 texts were sent every second.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV