Tech Rumor of the Day: Research In Motion
The move could be tied to reported plans for Verizon to cut the price of the Curve to $49 in an effort to reach more smartphone shoppers and clear out the inventory before the new model arrives.
Year-end holiday sales are the make or break times for phone makers and telcos. The pressure is even greater in the smartphone segment, as so many players vie for bigger slices of the expanding market.
Verizon and RIM could do OK in smartphone sales with the new Tour and an updated version of the controversial Storm. But the absence of the Aries, a consumer-oriented phone, in a big mass-market gift-giving season could be a setback at a critical time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV