Talbots (TLB) is making drastic cuts aboard the ship -- for everyone, that is, but the captain.
Shares of the women's apparel retailer plunged 13% to $6.13 in late-day trading Monday, following an announcement on Friday that the company will dole out $1.2 million to its CEO and President Trudy Sullivan.
The news came after the company cut 370 jobs, and announced plans to suspended its quarterly dividend and freeze its pension plan.
Talbots said the extra padding on Sullivan's pay check is to offset recent reductions in her retirement benefits. Last year she racked up a $1 million base salary, but her pay package also included about $931,000 in option awards, around $868,900 in value realized from past option grants, and $314,000 in "other" compensation that included $50,000 in financial consulting services and a $98,000 housing allowance -- for a total of $3.35 million.So all those laid-off employees are probably pretty worried about the reduction in her retirement benefits. Regardless, Talbots said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing that it was required to offset Sullivan's decrease in benefits per her employment contract. The company will also boost the annual salary of senior real estate and legal executive, Richard O'Connell, by 23%, bringing it to $500,000. He also received an extra 50,000 shares of restricted stock and an option to buy 74,000 shares of Talbots' stock, effective April 30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV