Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) may shed some of its store base when its leases expire over the next two years.
During a meeting with J.P. Morgan analyst Brian Tunkick, Abercrombie & Fitch management threw around words like "over-saturated" and "money losing stores," Tunick wrote in a note on Monday.
Over the next two years 210 leases are set to expire, or 20% of the store base, and Tunick says this could mean Abercrombie & Fitch will close some stores or negotiate for better lease terms.
Tunick expects the most potential closures at the Abercrombie & Fitch core concept, which he says could stand to lose about 100 stores. Currently there are 354 Abercrombie & Fitch locations.The company has already begun trimming its portfolio with the closure of all 29 of its Ruehl stores. That chain had been a drain on the company's profits and had contributed to some of the worst same-store sales number in the apparel retail space. In May Abercrombie & Fitch reported a 28% plunge in comparable sales. In comparison, Aeropostale (ARO) recorded a 19% jump in same-store sales, while American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) slipped 7%. Shares of Abercrombie fell 1.4% to $25.65 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV