China Eastern Airlines (CEA) has proposed taking over Shanghai Airlines through a share swap, Dow Jones Newswires reports, citing a person familiar with the situation.
The deal would finalize the long-anticipated merger between the two struggling state-owned carriers, Dow Jones notes. Rumors that China Eastern might merge with Shanghai Airlines or another competitor have been circulating for months.
Under the proposal, China Eastern will raise $1.02 billion via a private placement in both Shanghai and Hong Kong to complete the merger. China Eastern will swap 1.3 of its shares for each Shanghai Airlines share, the person told Dow Jones.
The deal offers a 25% share price premium to Shanghai Airlines shareholders. Regulatory approval for the proposed merger is still pending, the report said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV