Two huge design wins have put Imagination Technologies Group on the investment radar.
Winning the key slot in the two hottest phones of the moment certainly hasn't hurt the company's stock, which trades on the London Stock Exchange. Imagination shares are up 30% this month.
But part of that run is due to increased interest from Intel (INTC).On Thursday, Intel acquired 25 million shares of Imagination, taking its original 3% stake to 14%. Intel has been a licensee of Imagination technology and has said it "values its continued relationship" with the company, signaling it has no immediate plan to buy the company outright. With computing shifting to smaller mobile devices, Intel has struggled to keep up with the trend. But recent deals, like the $884 million offer for Wind River (WIND), a smartphone software management shop, show Intel has been looking externally for help. Imagination certainly would give Intel a strong position in the mobile device market. But Intel may have some competition. In December, Apple acquired a $5 million stake in Imagination.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV