Before the first ballot was cast in the 2008, Obama's quest for health care reform caused havoc in the sector and among health care ETFs like iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology (IBB) and HOLDRS Merrill Lynch Pharmaceutical ETF (PPH).
Government plans to extend health care to the uninsured and cut costs could certainly hinder major health care companies such as Amgen (AMGN) and Gilead (GILD), as lower costs cut into profits. Some analysts, however, believe that the influx of people into the heath care system and the bubble of aging baby boomers could make up for setbacks caused by reform.
The chance of any one biotech firm developing the next blockbuster drug are similar to the odds of moving to Hollywood and starring with Angelina Jolie in your first movie. That's not to say that biotech isn't a good place to have a small position -- biotech firms that make it do make it big and the reward for this sector is as high as the risk.There is a broad range of biotech ETFs to choose from. The SPDR Biotech (XBI) and PowerShares Dynamic Biotech & Genome (PBE) funds offer investors balanced exposure to a broad range of biotech firms with an emphasis on small-cap companies. iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology (IBB) and Biotech HOLDrs (BBH) give investors exposure to the biggest names in the business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV