Before the first ballot was cast in the 2008, Obama's quest for health care reform caused havoc in the sector and among health care ETFs like iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology (IBB) and HOLDRS Merrill Lynch Pharmaceutical ETF (PPH).
Government plans to extend health care to the uninsured and cut costs could certainly hinder major health care companies such as Amgen (AMGN) and Gilead (GILD), as lower costs cut into profits. Some analysts, however, believe that the influx of people into the heath care system and the bubble of aging baby boomers could make up for setbacks caused by reform.
The chance of any one biotech firm developing the next blockbuster drug are similar to the odds of moving to Hollywood and starring with Angelina Jolie in your first movie. That's not to say that biotech isn't a good place to have a small position -- biotech firms that make it do make it big and the reward for this sector is as high as the risk.There is a broad range of biotech ETFs to choose from. The SPDR Biotech (XBI) and PowerShares Dynamic Biotech & Genome (PBE) funds offer investors balanced exposure to a broad range of biotech firms with an emphasis on small-cap companies. iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology (IBB) and Biotech HOLDrs (BBH) give investors exposure to the biggest names in the business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV