Investors looking to diversify their portfolio with precious metals should consider the iShares Silver Trust (SLV), an ETF that tracks the value of physical silver held for the fund in a London branch of JPMorgan Chase (JPM). While silver shouldn't amount to a large segment of an investor's portfolio, a small position in silver helps to diversify stock-heavy holdings.
Before SLV, retail investors were limited to using silver mining stocks and some precious metals mutual funds to gain exposure to the price of silver. The alternative was to buy items, like jewelry and coins, which can be impractical to buy and store. Institutional investors had the option of investing in silver futures contracts, like the ones that make up DBS, if they were not restricted from using derivatives.
A stronger dollar has recently caused a resistance level in gold and silver prices. The trend of a rising dollar and falling silver prices is one that prospective SLV investors should be attuned to. Consumer price index numbers released Wednesday may have temporarily eased inflation fear and the dollar fell in Wednesday trading while silver and gold rebounded. The inflation question is still at large, however, as investors worry that the unfurling of the stimulus package and subsequent flood of cash could drive inflation higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV